Forth Bridges and Dalmeny Circular

Thursday 18 July - 10:30am
Forth bridges and Dalmeny circular: 5 miles, 2.5 – 3 hours. Meeting point: Hawes pier concourse, opposite the Hawes Inn, Newhalls Rd, South Queensferry, at 1030.

Starting almost directly below the Forth railway bridge and forming part of the long-distance John Muir way, the outward leg of the walk offers a scenic ramble on shore, woodland and estate paths with gradually changing views across to Fife, Inchcolm, and Cramond Isle.  Points of interest include Barnbougle castle and Dalmeny house (1814), the Rosebery family seat with a striking equestrian statue and private golf course overlooking the beach which, weather permitting, could be pleasant place to pause for a snack. The return section of the walk rises through estate farmland and then joins the road to Old Dalmeny with its romanesque church and Dalmeny station from where a short woodland path with a longish set of steps leads back down to Hawes pier. The going is generally easy and surfaces good enough to make boots unnecessary. Suitable walking shoes or trainers should suffice.

Getting there: By car: Edinburgh bound, leave the M9 at junction 2, and take the A904 and then the B924 to South Queensferry. The GPS coordinates for Hawes pier are EH 309TB. By train: from Dunblane/BOFA/ Stirling to Haymarket and then an Edinburgh-Fife service to Dalmeny station. Trains are approx. half-hourly, but check timetable and fares since even with a relevant railcard ticket prices may be significant. By bus: Lothian Country service no 43/X43 every 20 minutes from St Andrew Square or the West End stop to S Queensferry, with a 10-minute walk from town centre to the pier.

Please let Bill Kidd know if you plan to join this walk:     07810 800367​